1111 Belle Pre Way Alexandria, VA 22314
Torris was created by William Cochran and installed at the end of 2013 at the old Belle Pre Bottle Company, a glass factory in Alexandria, VA, which began operating in 1902. Filling an entire city block, the complex was transformed into an residential complex. The sculpture is viewed every day from all angles, including windows up to the seventh story level on all sides of the plaza.
The sculpture creates a cluster of canted forms that are alive reflecting the buildings around them in complimentary colors, they change as the viewer moves, and they cast color on the ground that moves as the sun moves.
The dichroic glass fins are illuminated at night with a special lighting system.
The Latin word torris means firebrands, reeds or burning arrows.