The Wisconsin Concrete Park is an outdoor museum comprised of 237 embellished concrete and mixed media sculptures built between 1948 and 1964 by Fred Smith, a retired lumberjack and self-taught artist.
Lacking formal training in art or art history, Smith was nevertheless moved by a strong and sustained personal vision that compelled him to animate his landscape with images from his life and imagination.
The sculptures primarily feature people engaging in everyday activities, such as farming, watching workers, and drinking beer. Animals are also frequently depicted, both in the wild and helping with farm work. One sculpture, the last Smith completed before his stroke, features a team of Clydesdales pulling a Budweiser wagon.
In 1995, Friends of Fred Smith, Inc. was formed to oversee the preservation of the sculptures, landscape and the historic Smith Family House, and to develop educational programs in partnership with local arts and community organizations. The site has changed dramatically since Smith’s time, but his artistic legacy is being preserved.
Visitors are invited to wander through this impressive sculptural display, take photos, & have a picnic lunch. The park has a museum & gift shop
Learn more: Fred Smith Concrete Park